The 2018 Shirley Jackson Awards Winners have been announced.
In recognition of the legacy of Shirley Jackson’s writing, and with permission of the author’s estate, The Shirley Jackson Awards, Inc. has been established for outstanding achievement in the literature of psychological suspense, horror, and the dark fantastic.
The Shirley Jackson Awards are voted upon by a jury of professional writers, editors, critics, and academics. The awards are given for the best work published in the preceding calendar year in the following categories: Novel, Novella, Novelette, Short Story, Single-Author Collection, and Edited Anthology.
Winners are in green.
- Everything Under by Daisy Johnson (Jonathan Cape)
- In the Night Wood by Dale Bailey (John Joseph Adams Books/Houghton Mifflin Harcourt)
- Little Eve by Catriona Ward (Weidenfeld & Nicolson, an imprint of The Orion Publishing Group)
- Social Creature by Tara Isabella Burton (Double Day/Raven Books)
- We Sold Our Souls by Grady Hendrix (Quirk Books)
- Judderman by DA Northwood (Gary Budden) (Dead Ink Books/Cinder House Publishing)
- The Atrocities by Jeremy C. Shipp (Tor.com)
- The Only Harmless Great Thing by Brooke Bolander (Tor.com)
- The Sea Dreams It Is the Sky by John Hornor Jacobs (HarperCollins Publishers)
- The Taiga Syndrome by Cristina Rivera Garza (Dorothy, a Publishing Project)
- "Adriftica" by Maria Dahvana Headley (Robots vs. Fairies)
- "Blood and Smoke, Vinegar and Ashes” by D.P. Watt (The Silent Garden)
- Ghostographs: An Album by Maria Romasco Moore (Rose Metal Press)
- "Help the Witch" by Tom Cox (Help the Witch)
- "The Black Sea" by Chris Mason (Beneath the Waves – Tales from the Deep, April 2018)
- “Back Seat” by Bracken MacLeod (Lost Highways)
- “Hell” by David Hansen (The Charcoal Issue of Fairy Tale Review, March 2018)
- “How to be a Horror Writer” by Tim Waggoner (Vastarien: A Literary Journal vol 1., issue 2 – Summer / Grimscribe Press)
- “The Astronaut” by Christina Wood Martinez (Granta 142: Animalia)
- "The Woman Dies" by Aoko Matsuda, translated from the Japanese by Polly Barton (online edition of Granta 144: genericlovestory)
- All the Fabulous Beasts by Priya Sharma (Undertow Publications)
- From Deep Places by Gemma Files (Trepidatio Publishing)
- Garden of Eldritch Delights by Lucy A. Snyder (Raw Dog Screaming Press)
- Quartier Perdu by Sean O'Brien (Comma Press)
- The Human Alchemy by Michael Griffin (Word Horde)
- Chiral Mad 4: An Anthology of Collaborations, edited by Michael Bailey and Lucy A. Snyder (Written Backwards)
- Robots vs Fairies, edited by Navah Wolfe and Dominik Parisien (Saga Press)
- The Silent Garden: A Journal of Esoteric Fabulism, edited by The Silent Garden Collective (Undertow Publications)
- This Dreaming Isle, edited by Dan Coxon (Unsung Stories)
- Tiny Crimes: Very Short Tales of Mystery and Murder, edited by Lincoln Michel and Nadxieli Nieto (Black Balloon)
The 2018 Shirley Jackson Awards were presented on Sunday, July 14, 2019, at Readercon 30 in Quincy, Massachusetts.
Post a Comment